Google Analytics

Friday, September 9, 2011

On smoothies and other goodness

I love smoothies. I often fantasize all day about smoothies (and oatmeal). I love smoothies like a fat boy loves cake (that was my 7th graders' favorite analogy last year).

Most of the summer I made my smoothies with plain Greek yogurt (Fage is my favorite brand), whatever fruit (fresh or frozen) I was in the mood for, a splash of lemon juice, and a little sweetener. Simple, protein-packed, and delicious.

But as we've moved into fall, I've been experimenting a little. (If you haven't tried the gingerbread smoothie yet, step away from the computer and go make it now.) The last couple of days I've been making what Kath calls a dough-boy smoothie and what Angela calls a cake batter smoothie. They are decadently thick and filling; I can have one for breakfast and not need a mid-morning snack. (By the way, you should also check out Kath's post on snack smoothies vs. entree smoothies. I typically make entree smoothies.)

Here's what you do:

  1. Soak some oats in milk overnight. (Kath calls for more than I use. I don't measure, but I probably use 1/3 cup oats to 2/3 cup milk. Kath also does this in her blender, but if you've ever been attacked by items in my fridge, you know that won't work for me.)
  2. In the morning, add a frozen banana, a spoonful of natural peanut butter, and whatever else you want.
  3. Blend and enjoy with a spoon.
Here's a few combos I've tried:

Oats, milk, PB, banana, cocoa powder, and agave nectar--chocolatey and delicious. Almost dessert-like, even.

Oats, milk, PB, banana, vanilla, blueberries, and agave nectar--that was breakfast this morning. I still wasn't hungry at 12:30!

And one more thing: if you love pumpkin like I love pumpkin, try these Pumpkin Pie Overnight Oats. It's like fall in a bowl.

3 comments:

  1. Yum!!! I am going to try all of that! I've been loving the overnight oats. I can't wait to try the smoothies. Jaxon's been on a smoothies kick with me but for him I made orange juice with frozen bananas. Where do you get the agave nectar? I have always wanted to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can actually get agave nectar at Dillons now. It's in the both the natural foods section and the sweetener section of baking goods, usually. Or a health food store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds so good. Love smoothies. They are so filling and satisfying. The one way to get that satisfaction without the chew. :)

    ReplyDelete